Community FP Coalition-Generated Information
Fall Prevention Summit Proceedings
On December 5-6, 2007, more than 140 invited stakeholders from various fields gathered in Long Beach, California to map out next steps on how California can better address the serious problem of falls in a rapidly growing older adult population. The Summit Goals were to: 1) increase knowledge about state of the art fall prevention efforts; 2) develop strategies to sustain and replicate promising fall prevention programs; and 3) generate recommendations to improve policies in the areas of Community Programs, Education and Training, Health Care, Healthy Lifestyles and Recreation, and Safe Housing and Communities. Due to the large nature of the proceedings, the files have been divided into sections.
Technical Assistance Briefs
- Technical Assistance Brief #1 -
Implementing Fall Prevention Components
with Participants in Community Programs, Gretchen Alkema, PhD
- Technical Assistance Brief #2 -
Integrating Fall Prevention Components into
Existing Organizational Structures,
Gretchen Alkema, PhD
- Technical Assistance Brief #3 -
Recruitment of Fall Prevention Coalition Members,
Katie Mack, MPA, MSG and Julie Overton, MSG/MHA
- Technical Assistance Brief #4 -
Strategic Planning for Coalitions, Katie Mack, MPA, MSG and Julie Overton, MSG/MHA
- Technical Assistance Brief #5 - Evaluation Basics for Fall Prevention Coalitions and Programs, Gretchen Alkema, PhD & Phoebe Liebig, PhD
- Technical Assistance Brief #6 - Pathways to Sustaining Fall Prevention Activities, Emily B. Nabors, MSG, Gretchen Alkema, PhD & Phoebe Liebig, PhD
- Home Modification - A brief introduction to home modification, a list of everyday situations that pose risks for falls.
- Catch Yourself - Simple Steps to Prevent Falls.
- Preventing Outdoor Falls -
Caroline Cicero, PhD
- Tracking Falls in California: Better Data Needed -
Christy M. Nishita, Ph.D. and In Hee Choi, PhD
- Assistive Devices - Benefits of assistive devices and
how to get an assistive device
- Balance and Mobility - Causes of balance and mobility problems
- Falls and Vision Loss Part 1 - Bernard A. Steinman, PhD
- Falls and Vision Loss Part 2 - Bernard A. Steinman, PhD
- Profile of CA Falls - Christy Nishita , Ph.D and In Hee Choi, PhD
- Falls Among Older Adults: Public Health Surveillance Issue - In Hee Choi, PhD , Roger B. Trent, Ph.D. , Christy M. Nishita, Ph.D. , and Jon Pynoos, Ph.D.
- Multi-factorial and Physical Activity Programs for Fall Prevention - Debra Rose, PhD, Laurence Rubenstein, MD, MPH, Anna Q. Nguyen, OTD, OTR/L, Caroline Cicero, PhD & Bernard A. Steinman, PhD