Information for Service Providers
Balance And Mobility
Tools You Can Use
- Fall Prevention Center of Excellence: Started in September 2004, this foundation launched a statewide Fall Prevention Initiative in the state of California to help with risk assessment, exercise and enviornmental modications for fall prevention.
- National Resource Center for Safe Aging: This website contains a wealth of falls-related information for public health professionals, with links to many other useful sites.
- Balance and Mobility Specialist Instructor Certificate: This program is designed to provide physical activity instructors and health care professionals with the knowledge and practical skills necessary to develop and implement fall risk reduction programs in their communities.
- Fall Prevention and Management Aid: This aid is intended to prompt clinical staff to consider a systematic assessment for determining patients' risk for falling and to recommend interventions. (DOC).
- Fear of Falling: It’s A Matter of Balance: This video includes interviews w ith a group of elders on common thoughts and fears about physical activity that lead to inactivity. The seniors discuss challenges they faced in recovering and maintaining their functional independence.
- Tai Chi: A New Look At An Old Exercise: Find out more about Tai chi, which is most popular with older adults who seek low impact exercise. Exercise is a key element in fall prevention.